Charged with building relationships with proceeds recipients and businesses across the state, Matt Robbins, community relations specialist for the Colorado Lottery, shared 7 quick tips for forming fruitful community partnerships.
1. When ever possible, meet in person. Don’t rely on technology, just like you, everyone is getting inundated with email and cold calls.
2. Know your audience. Do a little research before you meet with them so you know what they’re business is all about.
3. Don’t assume they understand what you do.
4. Take the time to ask what your partners do and what they need. You might be surprised to find out what you have in common.
5. After meeting with someone, don’t be afraid to share their experiences and stories with others. Understand that not every meeting or relationship will bare low hanging fruit. Keep in mind that time are tough right now so different partners will have different capacity to support your cause. It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon.
6. Be flexible.
7. Be available.